Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Big day


Turns out tomorrow is the BIG day. So big that I have been trying not to throw up all day I am so nervous. We told the doctor yesterday that we wanted them to be aggressive about getting the ENT in to see what is going on. When I got to the hospital this morning the doctor told me that she put in a call to the ENT Dr. Rone and told him to figure out his schedule so that we could fit Carter in sooner than later. He got back to her about an hour later and said tomorrow at 11:30. When she told me that I was very happy. Then she went on to tell me that if what he finds will require surgery he will go ahead and do it right then. The surgery they are talking about is a trachea!!!! If your shocked then I am sure you can only imagine my shock. She said that if what he sees is something that wont heal in the next 4-8 weeks than surgery will be the answer. So three things that could happen that we know of
1-They find nothing and we do just need more time
2-They find that he just has a narrow airway. They would do surgery and basically put a stint in to widen his airway. They would go in through his neck just like trachea surgery.
3-They find that he has scar tissue built up or a crazy amount of inflammation and they would do put a trachea in. The scar tissue would be from his heart surgery and him being on the ventilator for such a long time.

This will be Carters first time out of the NICU. Something about the OR room and my 3 month old son makes me sick.

I was not prepared for this at all. So somehow in the next 20 hours I am going to have to figure out a way to deal with it all. The thought of Carter being put through all this makes me so sad. He is still so tiny. We are glad that we will get answers tomorrow and that if he does need a trachea we are finding out tomorrow instead 6-8 weeks down the road. I asked the doctor about the longevity of the trachea and she said that it all depends on how long he would require ventilator support (they would hook it up to his trachea) and how long it takes for his airway to heal. Could take 3 months could take 2 years. My mind is going crazy thinking about the possibility of doing trachea care myself, nurses living in our home 24 hours a day, how will this effect Boston, what are long term side effects for Carter, and everything else you could think of. Wish us luck. I will try to update tomorrow.

10 comments:

Camille said...

Take a big deep breath, dear friend. We are all praying for you. In every prayer, every day. His spirit is so strong and you are going to make it through this, stronger than any of us can even imagine being ourselves.

We love you. And we are so inspired by your faith and determination to get your baby well. We can relate-- in a small degree, but we know you can do this!!

Karissa Kay said...

I'm hoping and praying for the best, Teres! Good luck tomorrow. Focus on the positive! Don't worry yourself with every possibility until you know some answers. Love you!

kelsey and murray said...

we are praying for you like crazy. i can;t imagine the agony that you are going through but what i do know is that god is mindful of your family and that he loves you. its a miracle we live in a world with modern day medicine. i know good things are coming your way, i just know it!

Brienne & Kelsey said...

Carter has been and will continue to be a fighter! We are praying our hearts out for you. Teres, we have always looked up to you for your optimism and firmness in the gospel. Thank you for your amazing example that you continue to be. We love you!

Rene said...

Sending prayers your way.

Jennie said...

We'll be praying!

McGiven Family.... said...

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers! Hoping for the best for you and sweet Carter. I am glad you are finally gettingbanswers! Hang in there!

Kirsti said...

What a blessing for you to know. And then you can go from there. We'll continue praying and hope for the best!

HILL HESS said...

You can do it, Teresa! We're praying for you as well as Carter. Love ya!

Nate and Lynlee said...

We'll be awaiting the update, and hoping for the best.