Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today

Holy smokes I am exhausted!!! Today was a jam packed information overload!

Let's start with the best news. Carter is on trach collar! Goodbye vent we will not miss you. Can't tell you how good it felt to go in his room and see his vent showing nothing but a black screen. They switched him over this morning and he doesn't seem to notice a difference at all. He is still satting great and behaving like his normal self. Praying for a good blood gas in the morning So so happy!

*update: called this morning and his gas was good, but he creeped up on his oxygen during the night so they are going to put him back on the vent to rest for a couple hours. I have no idea if this changes any plans. I hope not. I guess the roller coaster continues.

Trav and I went to our CPR class today. Call us immature, but we were doing everything we could during the class to hold back our laughs. Don't worry we know exactly what to do if Carter ever needs it. Every time we would look at each other during our role play we would die. I don't know if it is a good or bad thing that we can make situations like this fun. I guess we have just learned that we have to if we are going to make it through these crazy days.

Right after CPR I met with the home health agency about what all would go into Carter's care at home. It was rough. We definitely are not coming home in a way that I had hoped and envisioned during all this. Our house will literally turn into a mini hospital. She was talking about how we need to keep everything as clean as possible. She mentioned things like not leaving food out so that our counter surfaces don't get any sort of germs or growth. Just a bunch of random things that will definitely require a lot of work. Also Dr. Santiago said today that he is planning on sending Carter home on all his medicine that he is currently on which means we have a lot more training to be able to mix them and what not and how to do the proper treatments. We will be busy. Probably the best part about the meeting was when she said she didn't think that we would qualify for 24/7 care because Carter is not on the vent. Wahoo we will have some time for it to be just our family of four. I really like the sound of that.

Let's finish with some GREAT news. Dr. Santiago said today that we have less than two weeks!!!!!! Meaning we will most likely be bringing Carter home next weekend. I have so many mixed emotions about that. Obviously I am nervous about the fact that he won't have a doctor check him daily and order what he needs. At the same time I am excited to be the one making the calls for what he needs. I am sad to leave our nurses. Beside myself, Travis and my Mom they are who Carter knows. He reacts to their voices and they have not only taken great care of him they have fallen in love with him. I have a lot to do to get things ready for him to come home. Obviously I need to get our house gutted out, but I also need to get a lot of things for Carter. I need to get some of the basics diapers, wipes, lotion, shampoo, wash clothes, bottles, swaddle blankets you get the idea. I also am going to try and convince Travis that the stroller I want is a need not just a want. Wish me luck I don't think it will work. I might need to negotiate with my step dad to give me my Amazon gift cards that I usually get for birthdays and Christmas a little or a lot early this year. Ha we will see. I can't believe that my baby is coming home. I feel beyond blessed. I think back to the days when I was on bed rest and Doctors were telling me that he would only have a 50% chance of surviving. We are so lucky to have Carter. He has the sweetest spirit and we can feel the love of our Heavenly Father whenever we are with him. He is such a special little boy I am so blessed to be his Mommy.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Carter is coming home! We are so happy for you!

Rene said...

I really shouldn't read your blog while I am at school. I am a mess! Yay Carter. I am so stinking excited for you guys. This is great news.

kelsey and murray said...

oh my goodness you did have a crazy day! i am so thrilled for you that your little guy will get to be at home with you soon. keep us all updated!

Ashlee said...

What a day! I'm so so happy for you guys and now Carter will do great - I can't wait for him to finally come home.

Tara said...

AWESOME!!

Camille said...

yahooo!!

and how can I help? tell me something you need and I'm sending it right away. Seriously. Please. Make a list on your blog and let of us that have been wanting to help but feel helpless, do something! now is our chance!!
PLEASE!!

Ali said...

I can't wait for you to be able to bring him home. I'm sure it has been so hard not having him home.

tiffany said...

Hooray! How exciting! What a good day! love you guys!

Kirsti said...

I love reading your posts!! What an exciting one. I'm sure its overwhelming to think about getting ready and so rewarding to think about that it's almost time. I'm so happy for you and sending a special package soon!