Monday, June 28, 2010

Pott Party Day 1


Over the last month or two Boston has been showing signs that he is ready to start potty training. I have been putting it off because I was SO not ready. I wanted him to still be my baby and this seemed like the final "baby" thing he was holding onto. I knew that I had a window and if I didn't take advantage of it I might miss my chance so I quickly got ready. I read the book "Potty Training in less than a Day" and the "3 Day Method" on babycenter.com. I took the things that I liked from both of them and just did what worked for us.

I got the front dinning room cleared out set up our "Potty Party". I knew with Boston if I made something seem so special and fun he would be so excited about it and take to it more. When he woke up in the morning I told him we were going to have a party and say goodbye to his baby diapers. When I showed him the party room he said "this is awesome Mommy thank you". He got me very excited and so we were off.



The way we did it was the completely naked route. That way they don't feel the security of a diaper or underwear and catch themselves before they go to the bathroom. I made a potty chart that he got to put a sticker on every time he went in the potty and he also got a treat. He also had A LOT to drink and snacked mostly on salty foods to keep him thirsty. That way he would have lots of chances to practice.


I started setting the timer for 20 minutes and told him when the beeper went off it was potty time. He put up a little fight the first two times so I just told him to tell me when he needed to go so that he wouldn't get upset and not do it at all. After he had drank an entire sippy cup I knew he would be ready soon so I kept an eye out down there. He let out a couple dribbles and said "hurry I gotta go potty" and took of to the bathroom. He sat on the toilet and went pee for the first time. So to say he was proud of himself is an understatement he was in heaven. He was so happy and so was I. That is pretty much how the entire day went and every time after he went to the bathroom he would say "ok lets go back to the potty party".


So what were the results? Not one single accident!!!! I can't tell you how surprised and happy I was. I spent so much time getting ready and making it fun for him and to see it pay off and him get so excited about it made it all worth it. All this potty business must have made him really tired because after four and a half hours of naptime I decided to just wake him up. To make naptime even better he stayed dry the entire time!


The only down part was that he never went #2. Boston is a regular when it comes to that so hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck when it comes to that.


Good job Boston you are such a good boy and Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you!

6 comments:

Craig Wilson said...

so much fun to actually 'see' the potty party!!! Great job, mommy and Boston!!!! We are proud of you too. It will be so fun to be dry all day in big boy underpants. Love you, Mom W.

Ashlee said...

Go Boston! Nice job Teresa!

Britanee Walker said...

so proud of you Boston! hope it continues to go well for everyone involved :) nice work Teresa for making it so special for him. Brian's already decided that that's the way we're doing it...we'll see...

kelsey and murray said...

teres, what a great and creative idea- i love this!! way to go boston! i will be calling you one day for sure on tips for all of this. you are such a great mom! love you!

Preston and Jamyn said...

Pretty sure you are the cutest little mom ever! I've never heard of a potty party! So cute! He is the cutest little boy!

Anonymous said...

I see a little wee wee , how cute is that!