Friday, March 11, 2011

Awesome and horrible

Today was that...awesome and then horrible. At eleven today we ext abated Carter and for seven hours he did awesome!!! So awesome that I thought we were out or very close to being out of the woods. I should know by now that in the NICU you are never safe. We got a call around seven tonight that Carters airway completely shut down. They had a hard time bringing him back and now he is back on the ventilator. We know now that it is strictly due to his vocal cord. He had awesome settings and blood gasses while he was on CPAP. His poor little body just couldn't sustain it. So now we will have a care council with our Doctors and nurses to discuss Carters future care. We most likely will be doing a tracheostomy. This has been a big blow to us tonight. I went from the highest of high to pretty low all within a couple hours. Trying to make myself stop asking when the blows will stop coming. It just doesn't seem to end these days. Good news is Carter ventilator settings are the bomb dot com and if we do get a trachea that is a HUGE blessing. One thing remains Carter is one strong boy. He did something today that he shouldn't have been able to do and completely shocked a lot of people. We sure love him and it was great to see his cute round face without the ventilator today.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

7 comments:

Rene said...

You continue to amaze me with your optimism and faith. Carter and Boston are so lucky to have you and Trais as parents. Carter is an amazigly strong boy. I'm glad his vent settings are awesome and that there is a definitive answer. We'll contine to pray for his progress.

Camille said...

I'm so sorry. so very very sorry. We continue to pray for your little man and for you and for your sweet husband and other little man.

I am dying to know what all those things mean... cpap, ex abate, on the ventilator, etc... I've got to do some research!

I'm so sorry that this happened. We're thinking of you tonight...

The Nixon Family said...

lots of love.

Unknown said...

That kind of makes me mad/sad because hard stuff keeps happaning to him:( But I am still confidante he will get out SOON! <3

Kylie Blackwell said...

Hang in there cute girl! You are SUPER MOMMY (I love when Irey tells me this)!

Kirsti said...

Seriously, I agree with Rene, you are so optimistic and such a great Mom!! I remember the first time we met, I knew you were super special. Carter is so lucky to have come to your family. I know you guys will get through this! Sending lots of love over the internet and so wishing I could come say hi. Love you!

Laura said...

{hugs}