Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Carter's Surgery

(Carter all prepped and ready for surgery. He was sure to completely empty his stomach with 3 dirty diapers before)

Today was Carter's Big day. He had a total 5 surgeries done. All day I kept saying "poor baby". I just feel so bad for him and his tiny body. He had a tracheostomy (in the throat), G-tube (his new feeding tube, left side of belly), Nissen (band around his belly, the way too long scar down his belly), Broviac line (two white tubes in his leg), and a circumcision. I can't even begin to describe how nervous Trav and I were all morning leading up to it. It hurt to breath and felt so labored. The two hour wait felt like a lifetime. The thought of my baby being cut open in five different spots almost put me on my death bed.

After it was all over we walked into his room and saw his face with nothing on it for the first time in his entire life. I can't explain the feeling other than bliss. I don't think we even recognized all the other stuff. We had huge grins on our face and kept saying over and over again how cute he was. He is nice and puffy and will be for a couple days. The ENT who did the tracheostomy said everything went great. Before surgery Trav and I kept saying how in the world are they going to fit a trach under his chubby cheeks. Apparently it was a little difficult. Our nurse said the Doctor had to tape up his double chin to make way. We had a good laugh at that. The pediatric surgeon that did everything else said it was a "boring" surgery. The past couple weeks have been anything but "boring" so that was definitely music to our ears.

They will keep Carter completely paralyzed for the next 48 hours and then slowly wean him off pain meds and everything else. The puffyness will go away once he starts to eat again and move around a little bit. So probably in a week or so. They are keeping drops in his eyes to keep them moist since he isn't blinking. I didn't even think about that. Good thing Carter has such amazing Nurses and Doctors. Our favorite nurse Susan was his nurse today. Trav always says that he has to drag me away from that place and it's true, but when Susan is there it most definitely is a lot easier. The ventilator is pretty much doing all the breathing for him since he is completely sedated. Hopefully in about a week we will be able to start weaning him off that too.

Boston spent the day with his cousins. He had a blast and didn't mind that we were gone one tiny bit. Brandon and Emily came up from Waco to help us out. Can't tell you how blessed we are. Our family is Amazing and they certainly are no exception.


Thank you everyone for your prayers we are so blessed. Carter continues to be a fighter and amazes us with what his little body can do.

15 comments:

Rene said...

The post didn't show up. I've been thinking about you guys all day. I hope all went well.

Rene said...

Thanks for the update. He is beautiful. We're so glad that everything went as planned. He's going to have some awesome battle wounds to show off when he's a teenager. I can't wait to see what the next few weeks hold.

Britanee Walker said...

he looks adorable...puffy cheeks and all :) glad today went as good as it possibly could (as "boring" as it could even). we're continuing to pray for him & for you guys! thanks for the update.

Kelly said...

hoooooly smokes!! What a roller coaster. Praying for you. Cant wait to be 3 hours away!!! AH! can you think of all the fun we will have? ;) miss you. Carter is BEYOND cute!!!

Kylie Blackwell said...

I am not gunna lie, it's SO hard for me to see him all puffy like that (reminds me of Carson) I DO NOT KNOW how you guys are holding it together! This makes me think a lot about Carson and Irey and surgery and how amazing kids are! I just can't believe how amazing it is when things just work out perfect with babies! But I am glad in Carter's case, things are going well! It's such a blessing!
I am so glad he is doing good and on the road to recovery, home, and many many other great things! Your amazing! Keep hangin in!

Colby and Hilary said...

Okay, he has the cutest little nose!!! I have been thinking about you guys allllll day!! Glad it all went well. He is so stinkin adorable. So glad he is doing well. You are so awesome teres!!

Brooke said...

I am so happy (in tears) to hear that everything went well. You all are amazing and the Lord is ever mindful of you. Carter is just beautiful. I can't wait for you all to be home together.

McGiven Family.... said...

Wow Teresa! I am writing this through tears rolling down my cheeks. You guys are amazing and Carter is a little miracle baby! I am so glad that everything went so well and that you got to see his precious face with nothing on it. I can't imagine what you and Travis must be feeling right now. I hope he continues to do well and that he will be home and get to meet Boston soon!

emily+brett said...

aw his little face is just adorable. you guys are so strong. you will continue to be in our prayers. go carter!!

btw funny you know sarah mcgiven. she is married to brett's cousin. we love hanging out with them. such a small world.

Ashley said...

He is sooo cute! I am glad the surgery went well! How nice it will be for you to take him home so you can all be in one place!

D'Laina said...

So glad that everything went well. I'm sure you were a nervous wreck all day! He is cute with nothing on his face I adore those chubby little cheeks. I hope this means he can come home soon! I'm sure your dying to bring your little guy home! Thinking of you and praying for you always!

Camille said...

Pretty much crying my face off... I am so sorry that you had to go thru that, but ohhhh he's beautiful and I'm so grateful for the doctors and nurses and how kind and wonderful they've been. He really is just precious and I pray he will recover quickly and you will be calmed and comforted. I can't even imagine the anxiety you must have felt.

You are in our thoughts and prayers, always.

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO CARTER!! His face looks so beautiful without all those cords in his face!! (well it already did to begin with!) I love you!! ALWAYS in my prayers!

tiffany said...

I'm so happy for all of you. I love seeing his cute little face. I'm loving those cheeks! Way to go Carter!! thanks for the updates. love you guys!

kelsey and murray said...

i am so glad that it all went great. i love being able to see his darling little face. you can tell he is your boy! sure love ya!