Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just some thoughts

Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism. -Richard C. Edgley

I wish I could say that I was choosing faith, but fear and the unknown have definitely gotten the best of me as of late. I think I had a little break through over the weekend. I was at Walmart getting some groceries and I saw one of my nurses from when I was on bed rest. Actually the one that gave me bed baths (insert awkward here). She asked how I was doing and with a very hesitant face she asked if the baby made it. Later that night I was talking with one of our nurses and she was telling me how pretty much every baby after 26 weeks gestational makes it. Before that they end up loosing quite a few. I know that to be true I have seen three moms loose their babies during all this. I came home that night and finally let it go. I accepted that the fact that Carter is here and doing well is a miracle and blessing enough for me. I know that every single one of those Mom's that lost their babies would die to have their baby here. Trachea or no trachea. I realized that even if Carter does have to get a trachea it IS a miracle that they can do that and make it possible for my little boy to breathe on his own. We have been SO blessed during all this that I can't let fear and doubt and the unknown get in the way of the absolute blessing that Carter is to us.
Am I saying that I am ok with the fact that he might have to get a trachea? No, but I feel that if he does I will be able to get there. Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayers we feel them daily. Especially thank you for your faith I have been hanging on yours when mine has been weak.

Update-
Carter is doing well. The ENT moved his appointment to Monday because he will be out of town. Carter has been climbing a little in the wrong direction this last week with his vent and oxygen settings so we are totally fine to give him another four days to catch up. They have been working hard to beef him up and help him grow this past week. They are now giving him a high calorie formula for half his feeding and then adding calories to my breast milk the other half. It's working. He now weighs 6 pounds 9.6 ounces. They will give him a heavy dose of steroids on Saturday and Sunday to help with inflammation in is airway and to help with his lungs. They have also been doing breathing treatments and CPT (basically a vibrating massage on his back or chest) every six hours so help clear out the junk in his lungs. I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but the last time they ext abated him one of his lungs collapsed and a bunch of fluid built up in them. The treatments have been helping his lungs. He has had a lot of secretions which in this case is good because it means he is working it out.

Our Ward and Family are doing a fast on Carter's behalf this Sunday. If you can and are able to we invite you to join. We are hoping that best case he is able to get off the vent and if not that he is able to stay off long enough for the ENT to get a good look at what is going on inside.

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you.

I choose faith because I know that faith brings miracles and boy are we hoping for a miracle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Teresa, I want you to know that your family has been in our prayers since the beginning. My family was planning on doing a fast this sunday for your family anyway. It is going to feel so great that more people are going to join in. You are such an inspiration to me.
Stay strong.

Love,
The Turleys

kelsey and murray said...

this post was beautiful. i too forget sometimes to choose faith over fear. it has become my motto as well. i always tell myself "have faith not fear" so much easier said than done. carter is such an inspiration to others of the miracles that can happen in life. know that so many people love you and are praying on your behalf. i am anxious to see how it goes next week. sure love you. hang in there-

About Me said...

Teresa
Don't ever doubt yourself that you don't have much faith at time. You are amazing women. I have watched the faith in you over the years through different trails in your life. You are inspiration to a lot of people. You are very strong and have amazed me in all that you are doing. You are doing a great job. Know that I love you and am so proud of you and Travis. Know I am here anytime you need a shoulder. Yes, Carter is a miracle and we have been blessed to have him in our lives and we will even be more blessed as the years go on. When things get tough know that your Father in Heaven is very proud of you and all your doing and he is with you all the way. I love you tons! Your the best daughter anyone could ever ask for. Keep up the Faith, Stay Strong and Press on!
Love, Mom XOXOXO

Kelly said...

holy crap, are you kidding me?? you are like the strongest woman I know!!! If anything happens to me I always think "Teresa could do this... so can i". seriously. I second everything your mom said. We will be right there with you guys this Sunday!!! In spirit at least :) WOOT WOOOOOT!!! Go Carter, Go Carter, Go..Go.. Go CArter!!!

Camille said...

You are SO lovely. Actually that word isn't enough. I just don't even know what to say except to tell you thank you for your faith and for your reminders of hope and for the privilege of fasting and praying with you and for you. We will include you in our fast this weekend, most certainly. We pray for you every day and our boys are, too. We've been there on a similar (slight) scale with the fear and faith thing and with the breathing treatments and lung therapies. We know that miracles ARE real and we pray that you continue to see them daily.

Janae and Bil Bil said...

WOW!! Girl, you have been through so much. I cannot believe it. We are praying for you and I am so glad that Carter is doing better!! I love you and think the world of you and your little family!