Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ahhhhh


We kinda feel like screaming around here. Carter is feeling better. He is getting back into his normal sleep patterns again and is smiling and moving around. The problem is that his blood gasses aren't showing that. A blood gas is basically a sample of his blood that tells how the oxygen and everything else we need in our bodies is working. One of the most important numbers they look at is hi fiO2. It needs to be around 40. When we first went in his was around 60 and it now is around 52-55. They ended up putting him on cpap and bipap a machine that puts positive pressure in his lungs or basically just a continuous flow of air. They have been "experimenting" with his time on and off the machine to see if it would improve his blood gasses. They were almost exactly the same on and off the machine. So after last nights gas being the same they say well we will just continue to try and figure out what he needs and "if we need to we can always just give him a rate". They say this like it's no big deal. A rate means he is back on the ventilator and has a machine breathing for him. They think he has tracheomalicia which is a floppy airway. Why the heck are we just figuring this out now. I have been going to doctors appointments 2-5 days a week for seven months and nobody has noticed this!!!!! I am having a hard time with this one. My son does not need a machine to breathe for him he has been breathing on his own for seven months! What this also means is that if he does end up needing cpap, bipap, or the vent at home we will have to go to Our Children's House for up to two weeks to learn how to use the machine. Remember the half way house that we tried so hard to avoid after his trach surgery well this is the place. We feel that we have always handled everything with Carter's stuff pretty well, but this one is definitely throwing us for a loop and we are having a hard time swallowing it if you can't tell. This is the time we need to start dropping all the medical stuff and progressing with the developmental stuff. We do not want this to happen. It is a HUGE step backwards. It just doesn't make sense Carter seems so much like himself. His breathing is not labored anymore and his lungs are starting to sound clear again. I am not sure what is going on, but I sure hope we figure it out soon. This has been a hard one. I HATE having my baby in the hospital. We all need him home it feels so wrong without him here. Boston keeps asking where Carter is and "is he never coming home?". I hope they can cut the "experimenting" and figure it out because it's driving us crazy! I will try to do a better job updating. Thank you everyone for your love, support, and prayers they are much needed and appreciated.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Sweet baby! Carter is in our prayers that the doctors will figure everything out so he can get home sooner to his wonderful family!

Stacey said...

He looks so happy despite everything. I will be praying for you all. Hang in there, they will figure it out.

tiffany said...

My heart breaks for you! I know they will figure out what is going on! Look how cute he is! I think about you guys all the time. You are in our prayers! Love you guys!

tiffany said...

My heart breaks for you! I know they will figure out what is going on! Look how cute he is! I think about you guys all the time. You are in our prayers! Love you guys!

tiffany said...

My heart breaks for you! I know they will figure out what is going on! Look how cute he is! I think about you guys all the time. You are in our prayers! Love you guys!

Rene said...

So frustrating for you guys. You all are in our prayers and we'll pray the doctors can figure this out. Thanks for the updates.

The Nixon Family said...

Urgh. :(
So, I am SOOOo open, like pathetically open, to have BoBo come play with Els while you hang with Carter at the hospital. I will wait for your call, and if I don't hear from you I will stalk you.

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry things aren't going well. I hope they figure it out soon so you can stop being frustrated. Good luck, and of course we will keep praying for you guys.

Tell Boston Julia says Hi!! :)

Colby and Hilary said...

Teres I am so sorry you are going through this! I can not imagine what it would be like to have a baby in the hospital!! So frustrating! Know you are in my thoughts and prayers daily! Love you!!

About Me said...

I love you and I know you know this but I here 24-7!!!! Love you.

Ryan and Jamie Sharp said...

Love you guys! Stay strong and think positive. Hang in there and know we pray for you guys daily!