Thursday, March 1, 2012

Developmental Appointment

2-4 times a year Carter meets with his Developmental Doctor. About a month ago we went for a follow up. They do all sorts of test and what not to see how he is catching up or falling behind developmentally. They are never my favorite appointments mainly because sometimes it just hard to hear how far behind he really is even though I know. His gross motor skills are definitely the ones that he is lacking most which are around a 6 month old. I knew he was behind on that one, but was hoping it wasn't that for behind. He still lacks a lot of strength in his upper body. The doctor told me that a lot of times kids like him will skip crawling all together. Then with a very concerned look said "you know that problem with kids who don't crawl is that their handwriting suffers" What?!?! Do you think I care what his handwriting looks like after all he has been through. Thankfully I bit my tongue, because I knew they went to school a long time and paid lots of money to learn that. But really handwriting is the least of our worries.

The thing I was so excited about was all the test that had to do with his brain. He was scoring right at his corrected age of 14 months! Once again we are so happy that so far everything upstairs is working perfectly. The other stuff can be corrected the brain can't.

Speaking about his brain the doctor was very concerned with the size of Carter's head. Because he had a grade 3 brain bleed they were worried that he might have some swelling or fluid build up. I wasn't worried at all. She told me to keep an eye on it and if I noticed anything different we were to get in for an MRI asap. I came home and looked at Boston's head measurements to compare. At nine months Boston's head was 18.8 inches and at 14 months Carter's was 19. Sorry we just have huge headed children. Our Pediatrician knows my nephews and when we went for Carter's one year check he said that if he didn't know Boston and my Nephews he might be concerned "but since he's a Wilson" he has nothing to worry about.

Over the last month he has really taken off with his therapy. His physical therapist was telling me that they set 6 months goals for their patients to submit to insurance companies. They set goals that they feel at the time of the evaluation are kinda unrealistic so that after the six months they will continue to get coverage. In the past three months he has met his 6 month goals. Today he had his first Occupational Therapy appointment since his last evaluation that was mid January. His therapist was shocked that he had met all his 6 months goals whit in the last month.

I am so proud of my little guy. Nothing besides being ridiculously cute comes easy for him. He has taught me so much and has truly made me a better person.

2 comments:

Karissa Kay said...

wow! Go Carter!!

Cheryl said...

That is really good news. YAY Carter!!!! :)