Tuesday, July 24, 2012

eighteen months

Carter Boy-
I cant believe you are eighteen months! Even though some days feel forever long I really can't believe you have been with us that long. I think some days I can't believe it, because I still feel so blessed that Heavenly Father let us keep you when odds were against us. I hope you know what a blessing you are and always will be to our family. You have turned a new leaf developmentally that last month or so. We have had so much fun watching you learn new things. Since moving is so much harder for you every little thing you do gets celebrated like a babies first steps. I can't even imagine what kind of celebration you will get when that happens. I think your Brother is probably your best cheerleader. He will come to me with the biggest smile on his face and say "Mom Carter just reached for a toy!" like it is the greatest thing you have ever done. You love the attention and clap for yourself every time you finish a new "trick". You have started to move a little. It is in a very non-traditional way, but somehow you make your way across the room. You do this little 360 circle scoot on your bum and ta-da you are in a new spot. Pretty much all movement you do it backwards...army crawling, bum scooting, riding your car, and even a little hands and knees crawling. Therefore you usually end up stuck!
You have gotten to the point that you get very frustrated that you are moving the wrong way and further away from the toy you are trying to get. It makes me sad for you, but don't worry buddy you will get there and Mommy, Daddy, and even Boston help you do your therapy exercises daily to try and make it sooner. 

You still don't eat much of anything by mouth. I would say 95% of your nutrition is through your feeding tube. I try to be very patient with this knowing that a big part of the problem is because of your narrow airway. There is one thing that you love and that is water! You pretty much never turn that down. Now if only I knew of a way to add some major calories to it without changing the taste or texture we would be in business. You are very good at feeding yourself, but are also VERY good at spitting it back out. We should make a deal that after surgery when you have a nice healthy airway you should go to town on food. Deal.

Speaking of surgery I am so sad that you will have to go back under. I pray daily that your body will be strong and ready and that you will recover as quick as you usually do. I try not to think about the new 4-6 scars that you will get. It makes me sad to see them all over you mostly because I worry that someday they might bother you. I read in a book about a lady who was burned and scarred all over her body. As you can imagine she had a hard time with the scars. She was told by one of our churches that her scars should remind her of what a miracle she is. He compared each of her scars to the Saviors from the cross. He told her that just as the scars on his hands and wrist were proof of his miracle her were proof of hers. I hope someday you know what a miracle every little scar you have on your body is and that your Mom and Dad are in fact very grateful for each and every one of them.

One major thing that happened at 18 months is that Mom and Dad finally kicked you out of our room! More like you begged to not sleep in there anymore! You started waking up lots and getting really annoyed when Daddy would wake up early for work so we sent you in your room. I think it was a good move for all of us. We don't have to suction you ALL night and you sleep like a champ. I should mention that you HAVE to have your snuggly, your binki, your silky blanket, and a nice dark room does you very well!

You are the happiest little guy there is! Seriously I don't know how we got so lucky, but boy did we. You love to flirt with people. Because of your trach you aren't able to talk, but were you lack in words your eyes definitely make up for it! They are SO expressive and so big and blue with long lashes! You love to wave, clap, fold your arms, point, blow kisses, and give Mom loves. I am not even sad that I am the only one you really give them too. I actually LOVE it! Your feeding tube has definitely done a good job of beefin' you up. At your well check up you Weighed 27 punds 12 ounces and were 33.5 inches tall and your head was 20.5 inches. We sure know how to make cute babies with big noggins in our family. We sure love you Carter Boy and I hope you know how much I love being your Mom. 

No comments: