Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Days 2 and 3

I am going to make this quick because I am typing with one hand on the iPad and most importantly I FINALLY have a sleeping baby! Sleep is something that hasn't happened since surgery for longer than twenty minutes. He will now only sleep on my chest and right now I am perfectly fine with that.

Day 2
Started off the day still on the sedative and vent. Mid morning we put him on an hourly pain med and switched him to cpap. By late afternoon he was off cpap and oxygen and they switched him to loratab for pain management. He does much better on loratab for the pain but has a hard time sleeping on it. He will fall asleep and about ten minutes later jerk and then he cries because it scares him and I'm sure causes him some pain. He did perk up a little bit though and was giving high fives and knuckles. He even cracked a few smiles here and there.




Day 3
Wowzer today has been a long day! Little man is exhausted! They started off the day by removing his drain tubes. Wahoo! Those things made me so nervous. They can so easily cause infection. Carter was not as excited about the process as we were it made him ticked off! Thank goodness he had his two grandmas and nurse Cathy (NICU nurse) there to comfort him during a rough morning.


His incision from removing the rib cartilage is about three times longer than we were told. O well it had to be done. I haven't gotten a good look at his neck incision mostly because he won't let me. A huge positive was that they were able to put the drain tubes in the two incisions instead of making two other ones like they had originally planned.

Along with removing the drain tubes they tried to get a new IV for him. He is a near impossible stick so that didn't go over well. Carter won the battle and ended up not having to get one and got his other one removed. Around 5:00 we said good bye to the PICU and were moved down to the pulmonary floor. This place is heaven compared to the PICU. We have a private room with a bathroom and it is so much quieter. Carter is loving it. I think the thing that makes him most happy is that he is able to get out of bed. He hasn't let me put him down since. For the first time since surgery he is sleeping soundly so I will gladly hold him all day if he can get some rest. Over all tonight he seems like a much happier boy. He is moving around a little more and I am seeing small doses of my baby come back.



I am assuming that we will be heading home soon. Probably Friday, but who knows. He still is in quite a bit of pain and has a ton of secretions, but nothing that we couldn't manage from home. I am always so eager to get out of the hospitals. There is so much sickness here and the last thing I want is for him to get sick.

PS. I can't feel my left arm or right butt cheek ;)
PPS. There hasn't been much talk about the big brother around here, but he is super cute. I spent the morning with him building train tracks and he told me he "misses his little buddy". He's the best! I miss him, but thankfully I don't think he misses me too much yet. Grandma is making sure he is well taken care of.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Tara said...

You are such a trooper and doing so well! We keep praying for him and you and everyone involved. Wish we were closer, but for now - give everyone a kiss for me. Love you. So glad you are in the new room and hopefully he will get some good sleep. That always makes for a happier house around here :)