Saturday, September 13, 2008

Meet Bruiser


Here is our little bruiser. If you thought he looked like a stocky seven month old before you should check him out now. The helmet kinda reminds me of the knight hats my brothers and I would put on our Lego's. He got his helmet on Monday and lets just say it's been a long week. I have been feeling so sad for my little guy. The first two days were pretty tough for him. He would just sit and pull on it and cry. Talk about breaking my heart. As for sleeping you can forget about it because Boston for sure has. Getting him to take a nap has become quit the chore. I don't blame him sleeping on a hard piece of plastic doesn't sound the best. Really for the most part if we are busy he has been great. I think it has been extra hard because I am pretty sure he really is teething. If you can't tell I feel very bad for him. I was going to paint it like a Texas Rangers hat but to be honest knowing how much that thing cost I don't dare do a thing to it. He already gets looks and if I were to mess it up I could only imagine because there is no way we would be able to fork over the money again.

He has to wear it 23 hours a day. We take it off for an hour at night before he goes to bed to clean it. He sweats so bad in it that the thing has a pretty nasty smell by the end of the day. While we are on the subject of sweating I might as well mention the bad heat rash the dang thing gave him. We can put 1/2% cortisone cream on once a day to help is all. Hopefully his body will adjust soon so it won't bother him as bad.
Here is a pic of his heat rash. I thought he loved bath time before but O boy does he love it now because it also means no helmet time.

Here is something that will make him happy at any time. He loves to stand up and hold on to the couch all by himself.

We are working on this. He doesn't really know what to do once he gets here.


We are so grateful that we were able to get him this helmet. We can't believe how much it has changed already and it's only been five days. We know it is something that we will never regret.

13 comments:

Ashlee said...

Poor Boston!! That rash is NOT pretty :( I hope it works out though! Best wishes!

Karissa Kay said...

Poor little guy. I feel so bad for him, but I'm so glad it's helping. Tell him I said hi!

Britanee Walker said...

Those helmets are so dang expensive! It's amazing how fast they stink too. We've watched my boss's kids before and their youngest son had to wear a helmet for 12 months! I tried so hard to clean it and get it to smell pretty-never happened. I felt so bad having to put it back on, he'd always cry and tug on it but it's amazing to see what it did to the shape of his head. Poor Boston! I hope it gets better for all of you and that the heat rash goes away. Xoxo

melissa marie said...

Poor guy, its things like that that make me realize how hard being a mom is. I think every time he started crying I would probably just start crying too. How long does he have to wear it? He is still a doll though.

McGiven Family.... said...

I know exactly what you are going through. I remember those days so well. I cried the whole first week and so did they. We gave our kids Tylenol every night before they went to bed. I think it helped. You should try that. Good luck I promise it gets better and you will be so glad when you are done.

kelsey and murray said...

Poor little guy- just think the sooner he gets it on the sooner it will come off right? He pulls it off well because he is such a doll! We Love you guys!

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

Thanks for posting the pics of little Bo-Bo. He looks dang cute with that helmet of his. I can't imagine how hard it would be to see him want it off and not be able to just take it off and help him feel better in the moment. We miss you guys and can't wait to see you...hopefully soon. Maybe he'll be walkin' by then with how much he seems to be getting around now. give him xoxo's from auntie em

Colby and Hilary said...

Oh my gosh that would be so so hard. Kamri's first week home she was jaundice and we had to keep her in this light suitcase and she screamed the whole time!! It was so hard for me I cried as much as she did:( He is so so cute though, his cute little face in that helmet!!! I am sure it will get better!!

Ryan ♥ Breelyn said...

My cousin had to wear a helmet and although it was tough at times he looks so wonderful now so it is so worth it!!!!! And Boston looks so stinkin cute in it! He has such a darling face! And man is he getting chubby! I LOVE that! I LOVE the new picture on the banner! What a BEAUTIFUL family picture~

Brittany and Clayton said...

Boston really is the cutest little guy, no matter what you could put on his head!! He's just too darn adorable!! It was so good to see you guys last month! Hope it's not too long before we see you again! Hey, if you get a chance i would love it if you could email me a copy of the pic of you, nicole, and i at Nordy's, it's so cute!! My email is cbstarnes@msn.com! Miss you guys!
p.s. how bout them cowboys!!

preston. shawnee. cohen. said...

Poor Boston! That would be so hard to see your little baby so sad, and not to mention with such a bad rash. But in the end it will definitely pay off. He is still SO CUTE and I'm glad it's working.
P.S. It totally does remind me of a lego helmet! Ha.

Alexis said...

So many babies in our ward had to wear the helmet, too! One couple actually got a Y sticker from one of the football players and put it on the helmet - it was awesome!

macandmegan said...

Teres I love your blog. What a cute little guy, he looks so old! Its insane how fast they grow up. We were almost in your same boat. Doctors told us a couple months ago that Addy's head was flat and if it wasn't better in a couple months she would need a helmet. He sounded like it was pretty serious. Luckily 2 months later when we took her in he said it was a lot better, so not to worry. Wow you guys are awesome for dealing with that. I'm so glad its working. And to top it off that dang heat rash. Anyways he's so adorable :) I'm so glad we'll be able to keep in touch this way. Miss ya!