Thursday, February 17, 2011

Not sure what to think or how to feel

When Carter was first born I met a mom of another 25 weeker. They had been there for six months and her son had just gotten a trachea put in his neck to open his airway. She told me how he would have to have it for two years. During those two years he would not be able to leave the house. If he had doctors appointments or anything he would have to go by way of an ambulance. They would have an in home nurse 24 hours a day. I could think of nothing worse than that.

Well today was take three to get Carter off the vent and after about twenty minutes and adjusting the settings to keep his airway open he failed. The doctor didn't even want to try to make him work for it because it was strictly his airway. His lungs are perfect his airway flap is just not strong enough to stay open.

There are two words that I hate right now time and trachea and they both got put in our vocabulary today. It will take time for them to heal and get stronger or it will take time for us to see if he is a candidate for a trachea. Rough day. We Travis and I included need your prayers.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

11 comments:

Kelly said...

oh my goodness. Im so sorry. We will keep you in our prayers. Just remember that everything happens for a reason and Heavenly Father is looking after you guys.

love you sooo much.

Karissa Kay said...

I'm so sorry, Teres. This stinks! We'll continue praying for you all. Love you!

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the rough day that Carter, you and Trav are having. We've been praying for Carter every day and hope things get better soon. Wish we were there to help out. Love you guys.

Rene said...

I'm so sorry for you guys. I know it's such a roller coaster for you. We'll keep your whole family in our prayers.

Camille said...

Dearest Travis and Teresa,

I was thinking about you tonight when I was putting my baby to bed and your blog address popped in my head-- random! A few months ago when I changed my blog I lost my blost list and well, long story short I didn't have your info any more. So I just logged on to your blog and am finding out all this news and I'm just heartsick, tears streaming down my face. From the bottom of my heart I am so sorry we've been such terrible friends. We have not been there for you during such a time of trial and I'm so sorry. We ache for your pain and for all you've been faced with these last few months. Your faith and strength are pillars of hope for us and we marvel at your positive attitudes. I think back to my what seems so trivial now the time with Marcus being so very sick and thought I was so strong then, but you are both amazing. We express our love and heartfelt prayers. You will be prayed for at every moment. Our son Mason seems to have a direct link to heaven and we will include you in all our family prayers.

We love and again express our apologies.

Love,
Camille and Alfer

Britanee Walker said...

i'm so sorry to hear about this Teres! we've been thinking & praying for your family, especially "baby carter" (as Rian ALWAYS has to say it). i pray that if he does have to get the trachea, it's not as disheartening as the other mom said. Brian's parents actually work (home hospice) with many trach patients & not one of them have had that type of experience. know that we love you & think/pray for you guys constantly. xoxo

emily+brett said...

what a roller coaster! there are so many prayers for carter. he is so strong.

i loved video below. at the end i got a little teary eyed. you can tell he loves his brother. it really is touching how much he means those words "come home soon". so sweet.

tiffany said...

we are always thinking and praying for your cute little family! love you!

The Probert Family said...

Guys, we are praying for ALL of you.

Tara said...

Love you so much

McGiven Family.... said...

I think about you every day! That video of Boston made me cry. It was so precious. Hang in there. We will continue to think of you and pray for you!