Tuesday, June 14, 2011

6 Months


I can hardly believe that my little peanut is 6 months! It sounds so old. Seriously he is half way to being one! It still weirds me out to think that he should only be 2.5 months old. Today we went to his well check. For the most part everything looked great!

Weight- 12lbs 3oz still not on the charts here
Height- 23.5 inches he finally grew taller, but not enough to be on the charts
Head 16.4 inches 10% baby!!!! He must be a Wilson with that big noggin

Here is a medical update on Carter (list style of course)
-He is on the lowest oxygen setting before going to room air. Hopefully he will be off it completely in the next month
-He had some pretty big skin tag business going on around both his trach site and feeding tube that had to be burned off several times.
-He is on track developmentally for a 2.5 moth old minus feeding and anything vocal obviously
-He has pretty bad reflux. With his Nissen surgery he isn't able to throw anything up so he dry heaves all day. We are trying a new medication to see if it helps.
-He is still feeding every three hours during the day and on a continuous feed during the night.
-He only has breathing treatments twice a day instead of five.
-He still is given meds every three hours.
-He is not taking a bottle at all. I don't think he has a oral aversion because he will suck all day on the bottle he just can't get anything out. We have thrown out a lot of different options of ways to help fix the probably and hopefully within the next month we will have some answers. They have talked about doing some shock therapy that they do to adult patients after they have had a stoke. Who knows. Right now we are doing speech therapy once a week in our home. We have found that he does best when he is dead asleep. Sounds weird right? kinda crazy, but if it works we will do anything.
-We still seem to have at least 1-2 Dr. appointments every week on top of the in home therapy.
-He has very sensitive skin and all the sudden didn't like and of the baby lotion so know we are using a heavy cream to help out his very dry skin.
-We have only had to do two emergency trach changes since he has come home.
-He is kinda weak in his back and neck muscles so we are working on that.

Now the real Carter update
-He LOVES his tummy big time
-His favorite place is Mom and Dad's bed. He hangs out with Trav and I every night in bed until we do all his midnight treatments.
-He is very patients with his big brother always being up in his face.
-I am pretty sure he is a Mommas boy. At least I like to tell myself that.
-He is becoming more smiley every day
-He loves being in the Bjorn
-He will follow people all around the house with his eyes.
-If he is awake his legs don't stop kicking
-He pretty much likes anybody except nurses at our doctors offices. He knows who gives the shots and does the mean things.
-He blows bubbles with his spit all the time
-He still has no problems pooping thankfully the thickener he was on got recalled by the FDA so no longer does he have the deadly smelling poop. It still is stinky, but not half as bad.

Over all things are going great with little man. We are so proud of his progress. We still feel like we are holding our breathe as far as long term developmental stuff and what not. Not that we worry about it all the time, but it is definitely a thought in the back of our minds. We love him more and more every day. When I went to his little buddies funeral it brought back so many emotions and fears that I had of loosing him. I was pretty much a wreck that day. It was so hard to even comprehend what his family was going through and seeing the tiny casket put me overboard. I hate to admit it, but I felt guilty that we had Carter. Obviously I am so glad things have worked out for us, but it broke my heart that his parents wouldn't get to enjoy their little guy like we are. More than anything it made me even more grateful that he is here. Things definitely haven't been ideal in the last six months, but honestly I wouldn't change them if I could. I feel like I have grown in so many ways and Carter has taught me so much and with out a doubt I know that I am a better Mother and Wife having gone through it all. I feel so blessed to be his Mom and I know that I have such a special little spirit in our home. We are all just crazy about him.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

He is so cute! :]

Colby and Hilary said...

Carter is ADORABLE! And you are one amazing lady Teres!! HAPPY 6 MONTHS LITTLE GUY!

emily+brett said...

i look at his adorable little face and can't believe all he {and you guys} have been through. seriously a miracle that he is here!

K. Bitton said...

Way to go! Isn't it amazing to look back and see the progress? You are doing so much and have so many admirers! I seriously can't believe all that you do with a smile on your face. I love those chunky cheeks I could kiss them! :) Hope you have a good week and the new treatments work the way they should.

Britanee Walker said...

can't believe it's been 6 months already (more like 6 1/2 now)! he's progressing so much & it's fun to read the updates. you and Trav are such great parents! hope the changes help Carter out & that he continues to progress.