Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Airway Dilation

We had to be at the hospital this morning at 6:30 am and he didn't get taken back until 8:30 go figure. He was pretty darn happy for us waking him up so early.


He had a serious conversation with daddy before and was making THE cutest faces.


He gave mom some great snuggles and caught some zzzzz before the docs came in.


When you become good friends with the anesthesiologist they sneak you back to the OR so you can hold your baby until he is out. Carter definitely comes with a lot of perks. The nurse told us the procedure would take an hour and a half. So when the coordinator came out twenty minutes later stating surgery was over our hearts sank. We immediately thought that something went wrong and they weren't able to do it. Scared the day lights out of us. We went in the consult room to wait for Doctor Rohn and when he walked in with a smile and said things went great we were a little confused. So to say we were relieved was an understatement. He cauterized a little piece of tissue off and noticed that there was more swelling in his airway than there was when he went down last month. We had taken carter off Prevacid a month ago and Trav and I were noticing that he definitely needed to go back on it so we literally put him back on it last night. Dr Rohn said the swelling was due to his retching so we definitely needed to stay on Prevacid. Hopefully the swelling will go down with less retching.


He had a very hard time coming out of anesthesia this time which was new for him. He was very agitated and was throwing himself around for a couple hours. It was so sad. Then all the sudden he kicked his leg up and was fine.


His tummy was bugging him, but after a huge blowout he was much happier. He has been very restless all day and we are all very excited to go home tomorrow. Besides bloody secretions in his trach he is back to normal as far as his saturation levels and we are pretty happy about that. Boston and Grandma D (who he referred to as his "sweet Jo Jo" all day) had a fun day together at the sand park and came to meet us for dinner.

Today is our one year anniversary of the day Carter came home from the hospital and I can't do a post without mentioning how blessed we are. It has been an incredible year with so many ups and downs. I love being a mother more than anything. I feel this year has really stretched me as a person. I have learned how to rely on my Heavenly Father in a way that I have never done before. I am still learning how to trust his timing better, but with that being said there has never been a time when looking back that his timing was a huge blessing in so many ways. I am continually amazed at all that Carter has overcame and sometimes can't even fathom that we were once told he had a 10% chance survival rate and I have this amazing thriving beautiful boy. He is no doubt a miracle and I am beyond blessed to be his mother.

PS. I still get so excited when I hear someone tell me that his lungs sound like those of a champ. After hearing that he sounds like a dishwasher for so long it's music to my ears.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As always Teresa, I'm continually amazed with everything you've been through and how strong you are... and CARTER too! You guys are an amazing family. I know God didn't pick you guys to be his parents by accident.You guys are awesome!
Glad this last procedure went well. Carter is a champ!

Cathy Dyke said...

It was so great to see you guys post-op. My sweet Carter is a trouper!!!! I am so proud of him!!! Of you and Travis too!!

Bethany said...

He is such a little cutie and such a strong thing for how little he is! Just looking at him melts my heart! I love reading your post and I admire your family so much! You are amazing parents! I am so happy all went well!

Karissa Kay said...

You guys are seriously incredible. I'm so glad everything went well with the procedure. I LOVE the top pictures of Carter and Travis. So precious.