Monday, October 15, 2012

LTR Surgery Day

We got here to Children's hospital in down town Dallas at 11:00 am for check in. We did a lot of waiting and a lot of walking with little man.








12:30 we finished signing our lives away. He was given silly juice to make the separation easier for him. And they rolled him away back to the operating room. He didn't seem to mind at all that we were leaving which was definitely an answer to prayer. In fact he was pretty darn happy using his pulse ox cord as a phone.




2:00 pm- we just got an update saying "he went to sleep just fine and is doing just fine". That's it. Ha. I guess we had a different idea about what the hourly updates would be. So no worries he is "just fine" ;)

3:00 pm- "everything is going according to plan" and "not sure how much longer". They really give out a lot of information ;) in other news it was a terrible place for Trav and I to set up camp next to the bathroom in the surgery waiting room. All I can say is nasty!

4:00 pm- "they are still working and don't have an ending time yet"

5:00 pm- still going we are the only ones left. Taking too long!!!!



5:30 pm- Five hours later surgery was finally over. Dr. McClay said that surgery went wonderful! He was so happy that when he went in Carter hadn't formed any new granular tissue spots. Let's hope that goes for this too. He was able to get the piece of rib out very easily and and split his airway open in two spots and fill it with the new piece from his rib. He put in the stint and reported that his vocal chords look very nice and is hopeful that they will function well going forward. After chatting with the doc we were sent back to the waiting room for an hour while Carter finished up in the OR and got settled in the PICU.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Ryan and Jamie Sharp said...

I think I have checked this post 100 times! Hang in there! We are thinking of you obviously!

Britanee Walker said...

love the updates & the pics. i'd be going crazy with those hourly "updates". glad the silly juice helped him (& you). we've been thinking about you & praying for Carter all day today. love you guys.

Camille said...

I should have read this before I started freaking out on Instagram. I didn't know what was happening. I m so glad everything turned out okay. I thought you guys were in the ER or something. Not that this is much better, but at least it had a happy outcome. I am so happy for you.

The Candlands said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I just googled LTR surgery and found your blog (and may or may not have just spent an hour stalking you)! It has been so nice to read about someone who understands everything I am/will go through! I am LDS and from AZ and UT (I saw Irene Garn's name on your blog roll, and I knew her). Anyways. I had my daughter unexpectedly at 24 weeks. We had some not so great NICU doctors at first and they kept trying to extubate her (8 times). Long story short, we switched doctor groups and we got her PDA ligated, then tried 1 last extubation which gave us the answer we needed and she was trached, then we did the gtube because the nurses weren't consistent with her feeding by mouth and she didn't ever get the suck down. Anyways, you don't care to hear my story, but my daughter just turned 1 and we did a scope and we thought there was just granuloma. Nope, perfect scope, no granuloma, and no hole. So we are facing reconstruction. We won't know more until her appointment June 7th, but he mentioned this summer, which shocked me because she's so young and only 12 lbs. I don't know why I just vomited our story to you. I really just wanted to say thanks for putting your sons story out there so I could read it and know what to expect. Thank you for being super honest, it helps us go into this new adventure with our eyes wide open. Thank you, thank you!