Wednesday, October 31, 2012

MRSA

It seemed like forever for the cultures to come back and see what was growing. I wasn't shocked at all when the results came back with MRSA also know as staph infection. He got it once in the NICU and will always be more susceptible to get it. He also had an infection called pseudomonas or something like that. He was on IV antibiotics the whole time we were there. Each cycle was six hours long and four of the hours he had to be in bed because the cord couldn't reach anywhere and when we tried to hold him he would jump out of our arms. Speaking of IV's he pulled his first one out and once again the kid is near impossible to stick. They tried five times and were not successful. The last person came in and thankfully he was able to get it or they were going to have to surgically insert a broviac line. Which in all reality wouldn't have been the worst thing. We might suggest it at his next surgery because there is no reason he should have to be messed around with for hours every time he needs an IV and he will need them lots over the next couple months. 
 Trying to keep him entertained was the worst! 

 This boy LOVES cars! Big cars are his favorite. I think we drove this one back and forth at least a million times. I'm glad it didn't get old for him, because I was sure I couldn't listen to the siren one more time without dying. JK
 Boston sure made himself at home. He was in heaven during the above pic. Watching Berenstein Bears while eating yummy cake from my awesome friend!
The doctors came in Sunday morning and said that all the labs were back and they knew the sensitivity of all the meds he needed. This was all they needed to send us home so I kindly informed them that Boston had his primary program that morning so we had to be out of there by 10 am. Boy did they move quick! I think I know the discharge game now, because it usually takes FOREVER! My brother Kyle watched him while Trav and I went to church. He sent me this sad pic. Poor kid was burnt out and fell asleep in a pile of Lego's. One thing is for sure a hospital is not the place you go for sleeping. 
In other news we got Carter fitted for his little ankle braces and he chose the above design. I'm not surprised at all. He goes for anything with cars or balls. We should hopefully get them in a couple weeks and are so excited they should really help with the whole balance walking thing!

No comments: