Thursday, November 29, 2012

Home and Hospital

Monday night Carter had a rough night. Mostly do to nurses being annoying and messing things up. Tuesday he had a great day. Got rid of the O2 and kept his saturation levels in the high 90's. So they sent us home.




That night around ten his sats started to drop a little. We gave him some oxygen and he seemed to be doing a little better. He was super junky and required a lot of suctioning which is normal for him after surgery. Around two thirty things went down hill fast. He couldn't keep his saturation levels up and we were giving him 4 leters of oxygen which is a ton! We got him stable and called my mom to come over. She was working that night and wouldn't be able to come over with Boston. I had about twenty names pop in my head of people who would gladly come over to be with Boston, but felt I should call Rene'. She answered her phone right away and was at our house within 5 minutes. We took off to the hospital.




Travis and I were very calm on the way to the hospital. I'm not sure how because looking back it freaks me out and was so scary. Carter was still on the 4 leters of oxygen and keeping his sats in the low 90's. A couple minutes into the drive his pupils started to dilate in and out and his eyes would roll to the back of his head. I kept calling his name and making him keep eye contact with me. He was soooo tired and kept wanting to go to sleep. His sats dropped down as low as 48. Nothing was helping, but thankfully he popped back up to the 80's. When we got to the ER the waiting room was completely empty and they took us right back.




They did breathing treatments, ran all sort of test, X-rays, blood work, and whatever else I don't remember. We were all confused, because this shouldn't have been a side effect from the surgery. Once they finished all that and he was stable they admitted him to the PICU.




Since then he has been doing much better. Still requiring oxygen and waiting for all the tests to come back. Looking like a respiratory virus although we know it's not RSVP since that came back negative.

I saw this quote somewhere the other day. I don't remember where, but i wrote it down because it rang so true to me....

"I am so grateful for the blessings I have enjoyed in my life. I do not know why the lord has been so good to me. I don't know why I have been so blessed. But I do know that the Lord has a right to expect a lot of me. Sometimes the commitment gets a little heavy and sometimes I wonder if I can really do this. Then I think of all that I have been given, and it is easy to get up and do a little something more."

We have been so blessed! Through our trials Heavenly Father as blessed us in so many ways. Tuesday night we received so many tender mercies. From Rene' answering her phone, to her school schedule that happened to be different that day making it possible to watch Boston, the fact that the waiting room was completely empty when only 30 minutes before there were 44 patients out there with doctors accessing everyone to see who really needed to be there, we had meals lined up for the next week within hours, and so many more.

We are so grateful for our friends and family and all their support. Heavenly Father WILL give you what is needed to make it through your trials. We are grateful to be back at the Plano location around the nurses and doctors that usually take care of Carter.




I just had to post this picture of Boston "exercising his one arm push-ups" in the shower because it was hilarious. I love this boy so much. He keeps things normal and not to mention pretty funny too.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow Teresa - I felt like I had been keeping up with what is going on through mom- but it is not the same as reading your words. You really do have a gift with words. We keep praying for you all. Glad that you had a great birthday and are getting your boy to do chores. I need to do that! Love you lots!