Monday, November 26, 2012

Surgery #3




Today we came in planning to get Carter's tonsils and adenoids removed. We were going to stay after surgery for 4 hours to be observed and then go home.

Of course Carter had other plans. He always does ha. Dr. McClay called out from the operating room and told me Carter was tongue tied and asked if he should take care of it. Of course I said yes, but seriously he is almost two how are we just now figuring this out! He did his tonsils, adenoids, tongue, and the usual airway stuff. Everything went great! He came out and delivered the best news ever........drum roll please........

His airway was WIDE OPEN and he doesn't see any reason that he shouldn't be able to take his trach out on December 20th!

I am not totally convinced, but who knows. He will have to pass a sleep study on December 12th and if that goes well than I will believe it.

After surgery in his recovery room he decided that a 4 hour stay wasn't enough. He started to pull out the turn purple trick and required lots of O2. He hasn't done those tricks together for a LONG time! They admitted us to stay hopefully just over night. Not sure if the 7th floor (respiratory floor) was full or not, but for whatever reason we were sent to the 4th floor and not going to lie it is kinda annoying. It surprises me how little some nurses really know about trachs. I feel like I am teaching them what to do.

Anyways he is doing lots better now. Still on some O2 but only because they don't know how to change out the trach stuff and have to wait for respiratory to come fix it. If only I could go in the supply room and do it myself. Can ya tell I'm a little annoyed. Ha.

Trav and I had a good laugh when Carter needed some more pain meds the Dr came in and asked us what he wanted him to give Carter. Um when did we start writing the orders? I guess after two years of this stuff they put a little more trust in you.

In case you were wondering we chose morphine. Fentanyl knocks him out and he tends to be lazy with his breathing. Loratab wasn't going to cut the amount of pain he was in. I think we chose well, because after that is when he took a turn for the better.


I wish I could post the video of this moment. Carter had been given his dose of silly juice before surgery. I have never seen it be so effective. It was hilarious and sad all at the same time. He would sit there leaning over to the side and just stare at me. He would crack little smiles and then try to pick something off my nose. Then all the sudden he would just face plant into my chest. It was soooo funny.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: